.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Clerk charged with cashing customer’s $600 lottery ticket for herself

A Newport News clerk is charged with felony grand larceny after authorities say she tricked a customer out of his $600 lottery ticket.

Nearly every day for a decade, Jack Lavoie purchased lottery tickets at the Ivy Farms Road Shell station in Newport News. He saw the managers and clerks more like family.

“You build a trust,” said Lavoie. “That’s what I thought it was.”

That’s why he said he felt so betrayed by Susan Perez, a store clerk he’s known for years. According to a July 9, 2012 indictment, Perez tricked Lavoie out of a lottery ticket worth $600 in March.

Lavoie said the day he bought the ticket, he said he told Perez he thought he had won $40.

“She goes, ‘Yeah the lottery machines are messed up. You won $40.’ And I didn’t get a receipt or anything.”

“My son calls me from California,” Lavoie continued. “And he says, ‘Dad, congratulations!’ And I said, ‘For what?’ And he said, ‘You had four of the numbers.’ I said, ’No. I had three.’ He goes, ‘No. You play all the kids’ birthdays.’ He said, ‘You won $150 times four is $600.’”  More

Nutty News – Nutty Videos – Nutty Jokes Nutty Facts – Strange Crimes